Sunday, August 26, 2012

Embracing the Unexpected

 It is the last week before school and I was planning on relaxing all week and looking forward to my best friend driving up from Las Vegas to visit. Unfortunately, things never seem to go like we expect. While at work, I got a call from my mother in-law saying that Josh's younger brother had fallen down some stairs and had a pretty serious head injury. Needless to say, it wasn't long until the whole family had gathered at the hospital in Ogden, sweaty work clothes and all. It turned out Jon (my brother in-law) had an epidural bleed which is very serious and had to have emergency surgery to remove the clot.

 Jon after surgery. He really knows how to go above and beyond to get out of school.
 It took him a while to wake up, but once he was awake, it wasn't long until he was spouting off our names along with something about blaming the dinosaurs for his new hair cut.

 While my week was slightly inconvenienced, it was NOTHING compared to everything going on in my mother in-law's week. Not only were the kids about to start their first day of school, but one of them was supposed to be moving into his dorm for his first year at BYU. Since Lisa (mom in-law) had to stay at the hospital with Jon, I got to help him move in. Luckily for both of us, he's a boy and didn't have very much to move haha.



 As the week wore on, we got to watch Jon get substantially better with each day. He even got daily visits from a beast of a therapy dog named Murphy.

 Not long after that picture was taken, Jon finally got to have his bandages removed and we got to see the frankenstein scar leftover from surgery.

 Even though he had one heck of a headache, he was still smiling away.
 And finally got to go home on Saturday!!

Photo: Jon was discharged to home! Now no strenuous activity for 6 weeks or school for 2 weeks















It's a good thing Jon is so stubborn, I can't believe anyone could turn around and recover so quickly. His miraculous ordeal earned him two weeks of extra summer while he recovers.


In the meantime, one of Josh's friends got a new kitten. I'm pretty allergic to cats but this kitten was so dang cute I just couldn't help holding him. I decided he was worth being itchy for a few hours....bad choice. It turns out, you can get pink eye from allergies. Did you know that? I sure as heck didn't. So I, being my usual lucky self, have bright red eyes for the next few days. The picture does not do the deep red shade justice. These are the eyes I will be having for my first day of school tomorrow. Super cute, I know. Josh is one lucky fella :) So if you see me on campus tomorrow, you don't have to tell me my eyes are red...I've noticed :/



So now that I've gotten the negative part of my week out of my system, it's time to share the positives. Once Jon was released from the hospital, the fun began! My friend Melissa drove up to spend the weekend with us before school started and boy did we get our craft on!

Not only did we get 90% of my wedding scrapbook done...



And make these little beauties to hang on the wall...


but we also made a rocking dinner of pesto chicken stuffed shells from a pinterest recipe!


Although this week was filled with more stress than I was expecting, I am so grateful that overall it was filled with joy and fun when it could've been so much worse. The summer is officially over and school starts bright and early tomorrow. First day of school pictures to come!!

No comments:

Post a Comment